Friday, October 9, 2009

Madeleines


I cannot think of a better way to start the weekend than with my favorite iced Starbucks concoction and a packet of imitation French cookies! They might not be true madeleines, but they are too delicious for me to really care.

When I choose to take a break from soy chai lattes, this is my drink of choice: a nonfat vanilla latte. The hot and cold versions are equally delicious!
After waking up feeling totally hideous yesterday morning, and therefore dressing like a complete slob, and therefore feeling even worse, today I needed to sartorially and mentally replenish myself. This ostentatiously pink shirt felt like the right move. And I had a splendid day! It just goes to show how much what you wear changes your attitude.

Eating madeleines reminds me of Paris, and more specifically the creative writing class I took there. In the class we read the famous passage from Remembrance of Things Past by Marcel Proust about his involuntary memory triggered by eating madeleines dipped in tea. If you like French literature and yummy things, you should read the excerpt!

Vintage Gap skirt, vintage blouse, Urban Outfitters belt, Hue tights, vintage leather boots via eBay

While I am on the topic of French artistes... I have been listening to "Claire de Lune" by Claude Debussy nonstop for weeks on end, and it's one of the most gorgeous pieces of music I have ever heard. I did a bit of research about it, and the movement is based on the poem "Claire de Lune" by Paul Verlaine. I just have to post the poem here because it is so stunningly beautiful.

Votre âme est un paysage choisi
Que vont charmant masques et bergamasques
Jouant du luth et dansant et quasi
Tristes sous leurs déguisements fantasques.

Tout en chantant sur le mode mineur
L'amour vainqueur et la vie opportune
Ils n'ont pas l'air de croire à leur bonheur
Et leur chanson se mêle au clair de lune,

Au calme clair de lune triste et beau,
Qui fait rêver les oiseaux dans les arbres
Et sangloter d'extase les jets d'eau,
Les grands jets d'eau sveltes parmi les marbres.

~

Your soul is a chosen landscape
Where charming masked and costumed figures go
Playing the lute and dancing and almost
Sad beneath their fantastic disguises.

All sing in a minor key
Of all-conquering love and careless fortune
They do not seem to believe in their happiness
And their song mingles with the moonlight.

The still moonlight, sad and beautiful,
Which gives the birds to dream in the trees
And makes the fountain sprays sob in ecstasy,
The tall, slender fountain sprays among the marble statues.

I am currently enjoying a relaxing evening at home in my pajamas, then celebrating the sixteenth birthday of my darlingest friend tomorrow night! I hope you all have fantastic weekends ahead of you.

30 comments:

C said...

Isn't it amazing how what you wear affects your mood SO. MUCH. I'm constantly amazed at how much better I feel when I've put some effort into my outfit; and conversely how icky I feel when I haven't tried at all. Love that pink shirt, it's just the ticket!

this wheel's on fire said...

"It just goes to show how much what you wear changes your attitude" YES! I always find that when I wake up feeling tired and less than beautiful it always helps to put on a happy outfit.

And I loved your comment! Yes, we do have very similar tastes in all things pop culture! :D

Enjoy your cosy night & happy birthday to your friend!

Annie said...

I LOVE STARBUCKS!
and i love the outfit!

xx

Anonymous said...

yum! that's my favorite drink too!

haha i had to read the madeline essay for a french course once

Taryn said...

Never knew Claire De Lune was inspired by such a beautiful poem!
Nonfat vanilla lattes remind me of my time in NYC cause I got one at the start of each day I was there :)
Your outfit is adorable, I especially love the skirt.

Anonymous said...

I was not aware that "Claire De Lune" was based on that poem! It's lovely. :)

Adoreable outfit. Love the pink!
Mmmm...I am now craving my latest Starbucks obession: Carmel Apple Spice. <3

indigotangerine said...

your skirt= pure gorgeousness. My family is the only one that I know that ones not one, not two, but THREE madeline pans. We put them to good use too...
-indigo

DENNI said...

YOUR STARBUCKS AND THE GREEN BEHIND YOU ARE GREAT WITH YOUR LOOK. LOVE IT!







XX
CHICMUSE

Parapluie said...

What a beautiful poem!!

Fashionisaparty.com (Suz) said...

i love that skirt so much!

Anonymous said...

love that poem.

Francie. said...

i wish it was warm enough here to drink something like that, it looks like it would be perfect for a warm day!

Sarah said...

I love your outfit! Clair de Lune is one of my favorite's too :)

Helen said...

i agree, brigh colours perk you up so much! i like your skirt

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are going to have a lovely weekend!
XOXOX
Libby
http://fashionconfectionairy.weebly.com

Michael said...

Starbucks and cookies?! That sounds just right, mmm.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Really cute outfit; the colors pop so nicely.

Maria Confer said...

Your outfit is so lovely. but the iced coffee is making me shiver.

lululetty.blogspot.com

rani said...

beautiful skirt !!!!!!!! :D

Valencia Lia said...

Love love the skirt you have with that pop of color with your top !! Really love love it !

Ohhhh,I too really love love to eat madeleiness,yummy yum <3

Emma said...

I love the skirt!
xoxo

Grace said...

Adorable outfit! And love vanilla lattes.

Love Grace.

Danielle said...

I don't like dressing sloppily either, but it seems that I've been doing it more and more lately. I absolutely adore the print on your skirt!

captain kimi said...

Love this bright pink and the skirt is so charming

simonesays said...

This whole post really just makes me happy. Is that odd? Thanks for the comment on my blog, pink looks lovely on you. ♥

simonesays said...

PS: I know this is quite random, and a day after I left that last comment, but I just saw your plum + black lips suggestion on the Cheap Thrills blog, and that would just be amazing. Heee.

Anonymous said...

Starbucks! My home away from home. They finally have their holiday stuff out now. And your hair...well its incredible.

jules said...

you look perfect.

Little Monarch said...

that vintage gap skirt is cute. I am currently waiting for my working week to be over so I can go home and put on my pjs. maybe ill get some madelines and dunk them in a nice cup of early grey. have a wonderful weekend

Zhcsyra hp said...

well.i really love ur outfits babe :))
awesome ur floral skirt,cool booties ,nice shirt and whole the outfits are great.