Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Let's Make Believe That We Are Wealthy For Just This Once


This dress is one of my favorite things I have ever worn. And, regarding the post title, I know I have quoted this song for a post before, but it's one of my all time favorites and this is certainly the season for it.

I love the way black flats and black tights look together. So simple and so chic. You remember these beauties, right? I wore them much differently back in May. Something about wearing all black, with just a touch of something glittery, makes me feel much older. In a good way!

Anyway, back to the dress... I saw it buried in a bin at the thrift shop and was immediately intrigued by the bit of black lace poking out from under a pile of random clothes. As you might recall, black lace is one of the staples of my idealized winter wardrobe. I adore the ballerina style skirt, the fact that it's Anna Sui from Henri Bendel, and most of all the rather dramatic back...

... or lack thereof! The black bra was the best I could do for now, but I really want something from American Apparel to wear underneath, preferably this, because the black and gold are perfect together. I really love backless dresses. They are extremely sexy in a less obvious way.

Smiles! I think one of my New Year's resolutions will be to post more smiling pictures on here, I feel like I come off much too serious in my photographs sometimes. Well, you let me know.

Vintage Anna Sui lace dress, vintage Gucci blazer, Beverly Feldman shoes, Calvin Klein bra, Nicole Miller tights, ShopKim ring

I wore this to school on Monday and felt like I was wasting it. This outfit deserves something scintillating! This will sound slightly ridiculous, maybe, but outfits like this make me wish I were all grown up and living in some fabulous city like New York or Paris in an apartment with my best friends, throwing a crazy party or something. Standing on a balcony, drinking champagne, looking out at glittering city lights, while snow flurries magically around me. You know what I mean? I feel like everyone has a piece of clothing that makes them wish they had a more exciting life.

As I mentioned before, one of my best friends turns sixteen on New Year's Eve, so hopefully there will be terrific celebrations that involve dressing up! Do you all have fabulous plans yet for ringing in the new year?

P.S. Don't forget to check out my shop!

43 comments:

Rosie Unknown said...

That dress is so pretty! And wonderful, and I want it.

Sidewalk Chic said...

The back of that dress is just stunning. Love the lace detail and the cut of it. -JoAnn, Sidewalk Chalk

Sammi said...

You look absolutely gorge! No worries about the smiling thing. I think the "serious" looks more like perfectly posed to show off the amazing outfits.

Anonymous said...

uhoh! that vintage anna sui lace dress looks pretty! it kinda had a drapey effect when you paired it up with the blazer. looks effortlessly chic!

and i too love to dress up occasionally in all black. makes me feel comfortable i guess cos we can never go wrong with that colour! :) and yeap black pumps and black tights always look so nice together!

it really is amazing how you managed to find this dress in the bin haha! lucky find i guess! :)

okay okay nuff said, am totally gonna follow your blog and add you up to my list! do check on mine too yeah :)

http://www.pantyhole.blogspot.com/

<3 and ive still yet to think of a plan for the new year :(

Anna G said...

I love parties. I really hope some friends of mine have one. If not then I'll throw one.

Wearing all black is so much fun but after awhile it gets old. So I rarely wear that look.

You look amazing. I would love to find such lovely things.

Anonymous said...

talk about the perfect LDB. SOSO ENVIOUS!

xx

jessica said...

that's the magic of fashion, my dear !
& yes i can see why you'd love that dress ever so much.

Georgia said...

Yes, very elegant. Reminds me of Audrey Hepburn?
It would be mine

fashion-psyche said...

Oh my god!! Your dress is sooo beautiful!!

daisychain said...

so in love with your dress!

faye said...

I heart black lace, it reminds me of gothic but in a pretty way.
Hmm yeah I agree that people have outfits that make them want to wish they had a more exciting life but hey, we will progress to adulthood and go to posh parties
HOPEFULLY ahah.
Great post
x

Velo said...

i really loveee ur backless dress.
pretty!

Clara Campelo said...

amazing black look.
i love your hair.
xx

jules said...

I love that dress. So amazing.

Parapluie said...

The dress and the whole outfit look so nice!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Such a cute/pretty LBD- love that you paired it w/ bejeweled flats!

Amber Lucas A Mused Blog said...

Lovely dress!! And, the "background" makes a great effect! Lovely. :)

Amber

I'm hosting a $150 giveaway! Don't forget to enter!!

ambersmouthwash

Penny said...

Unfortunately, I know exactly what you mean. I wear these dressy outfits to school and wish I was going to a ballet, or an opera!
But I absolutely adore your outfit. It's one of my favorites that you've worn (and I've been following your blog for a while! (: )

Unknown said...

great pics x

Dannie said...

i looove that dress, esp. the back and the puffed out skirt :)
gorgeous!

Ann. said...

oh,
Your blog is amazing! You are beautiful girl:)
great look! pretty dress! <33

xoxo.

Unknown said...

I absolutely adore that dress, you look beautiful. x

Natalie Suarez said...

the dress is so cute, and i am loving the cut of the back! :))

xoxo

natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

Kristin said...

Good thing you rescued that dress from the bin at the thrift store...it is gorgeous!

WendyB said...

Yay for smiling photos.

Victoria Jin said...

that little black dress is so pretty and perfect :)

indigotangerine said...

oh my god, this outfit is so perfect. the dress is GORGEOUS, the proportions are great (i too am a sucker for a plunging backline) and the shoes add a little bit of bedazzlement. Simply fantastic!
-indigo

Anonymous said...

what a lovely dress!

Valencia Lia said...

That is such a stunning dress,soooo classic and Audrey Hepburn like.

I really love you paired it with that blazer too.
My fave outfit for you right now <33

Anonymous said...

Can;t get enough of the lace!
www.thefashionseen.com

The Queen of Hearts said...

I really need a lace dress. Badly. And in black.

emily said...

aw, the smiley picture is adorable. :) and people always harp on me when i wear all black, sometimes i wish i lied in ny where that's the norm!

Lexy @ QUIRKY EXPLOSION said...

Such a fabulous LBD. It reminds that I should get one! I love the shape of it and the material is fantastic. It's youthful and classy at the same time!

Thanks so much for stopping by!
quirkyexplosion.blogspot.com

Amelia said...

That dress is beyond perfect! The lace, the shape, the back. I'm really quite envious. And I definitely know what you mean at the end about wishing you lived somewhere fabulous and did fabulous things. I love the mundane, but sometimes I feel like life is wasted on it.

this wheel's on fire said...

you look so adorable!

Raj said...

Such a gorgeous dress
You look amazinggg
Anddd ohhh, the description of where you want to wear that dress just described my perfect lifestyleee. Clearly you have incredible tastee :)

Frock Around the Clock said...

I got an Anna Sui dress from Anthropologie that is similar to this. It looks absolutley gorgeous on you. Henri Bendel was my favourite store in New York.. I wanted to live there! :) x

S and O said...

Oh that dress is killer cute!!!
xoxo,
Olivia ;)

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

That dress is lovely; I adore the shape.

Danielle said...

Those shoes and dress are definitely made for eachother!

Jane Interrupted said...

Death Cab!
You are gorgeous & I love your dress.

Gloria fait son show said...

i just love your dress:)
great blog..
bisous and merry christmas!

soirée enterrement de vie de jeune fille Paris said...

Très belle robe et tu es magnifique, j'adore vraiment.

Séréna