Sunday, December 6, 2009

Before The Snow


The winter weather has officially descended. We had our first snow last night. True, it was mixed with rain and had pretty much turned to slush by this morning... but it was there. It makes me excited.

Have I ever mentioned my deep, irrevocable love for strings of twinkly Christmas lights? Actually, I believe I have. There is something so magical about them.

Speaking of Christmas lights... on Friday night our town kicked off the holiday season with its annual tradition: lighting the Christmas tree in the center of town. My friends and I caroled with our select singing group from school, then ate greasy Chinese food until we felt like we were going to pass out. It was magnificent.

As silly as this may seem, all the Christmas hoopla swirling about makes me wish I were in Paris for the holiday season. True, I am always wishing I were in Paris, but right now especially. I can only imagine how stunning it must be blanketed in snow, with all the trees lit up. And I would think that French Christmas traditions are much more dignified than those of Americans.

I love how dreamy this photograph is. I really want to hang a few strings of white lights around my room. First image found here, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth.

A few months ago I received mail from Smith College regarding a poetry contest for sophomore and junior high school girls residing in New England. Seems like fate, right? A week ago I submitted my poem, and I figured I would show it to you since it somewhat relates to the topic at hand. I hope you don't mind when I post poems on here, but writing is just as important to me as fashion, and probably more so, so I like sharing things.

Before The Snow

hard to recall whether our knees touched
under the cramped table at dinner,
or whether you noticed me noticing.
much later we lay together
among the spare blankets,
clean apartment lush with lamplight,
our cold feet touching under a virginally
white comforter.
it felt like both the safest
and the strangest place to want,
with warm electricity flowing through my marrow,
a surreal sense of peace fluttering
about my eyelids.

I promise some more fashion-related things soon, but the snow had me in the dreamiest mood today. I cannot wait for the first snow day.

44 comments:

Raj said...

These photos are gorgeous, you're so lucky you got snowww... I really hope we get some this year.
Beautiful poem
Something about this time of year is so magical

emily said...

lovely poem. and i just put some pink christmas lights up, right now they're making me so happy. :)

A Whimsical Girl Named Debbie said...

Such a sweet and whimsical poem. We got our first snow fall last night {I'm from Pittsburgh, PA}. It was sooo pretty! I have to agree with Raji that this time of year is magical!
http://girlwhimsy.blogspot.com

_ said...

gorgeous post! it really helped cheer up my gloomy sunday.
beautiful poem, i especially love the last two lines. i have a bit of an obsession with smith college (i'm an avid sylvia plath fan) and am so excited for you to be a part of it!
love love love that last photo.
s.

Shannon King said...

I really like your blog!
where in CT are you from?

xx

Anonymous said...

i love the poem. all of the pictures are so pretty. and i totally agree with the paris thing. their traditions are probably a lot classier that our's.

Anonymous said...

don't apologize for really showing all sides of yourself, besides your poetry is wonderful. the first few lines are really genius

the first snow was exciting, but viewing it from the 8th story of a dorm room wasn't too romantic. I like falling snow better at home, where I can watch it collect in the trees that have been there for 100s of years (not the past 10 years like in DC) haha

Valencia Lia said...

I really love love christmas lights too in a colors!! Especially those photos of lights taken blurred,I love it even more:)

And that poem you wrote is so beautiful,that's amazing you write so well!

Rosie Unknown said...

Wow, your poem is absolutely amazing! I love to see this side of you.

We had our first snow last night too, it really feels like the christmas season now.

Taryn said...

Those photos are magical...I wish the sparkling white lights stayed out all year, there is something about them that is joyful yet eerie. Also, your poem is fantastic and I hope you do well in the contest! :)

Maria Confer said...

We had our first dusting of snow the other night too!!

I love Christmas lights!

lululetty.blogspot.com

Sidewalk Chic said...

Beautiful poem. And those photos have got me in the mood for Christmas. - JoAnn

Lexy @ QUIRKY EXPLOSION said...

Hi there! I just stumbled upon your blog and must say that I am rather smitten. I absolutely love those photos. Gorgeous!

And may I say, I am a little envious of your snow. Don't even have that, up here, in Canada!

quirkyexplosion.blogspot.com

FASHION CHALET said...

Alexander Wang is a high compliment in my Book! :] Thank you, dear!!!

Your post is as beautiful as it is Magic, I'm so in the Holiday spirit!



xx

Analisa said...

You're so lucky you live somewhere that snows! These pictures are so pretty.

maryse said...

beautiful photos!

Anonymous said...

i found the most perfect christmas lights with tiny chinese paper lanterns! i so regret not getting them now :(

Chloë, Wardrobe Quarry said...

these photos are gorgeous :) they make me smile. I especially like the second one, its quite magical. I'm excited to put up my christmas lights.

coeur noir said...

i really like the poem (:

Parapluie said...

Beautiful!

Helen said...

i would love to visit paris at christmas too. i would also love to visit new york at christmas too - i think it would be garish and ott, but in a really good way! and to ice skate in central park...ahhh. i am so jealous of your first snow. we will be lucky if we get one day of snow this winter

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos!
I love christmas lights as well. My neighborhood is always full of fantasticaly lit up houses. It's so much fun to drive around and look at them all.

michelle_ said...

i love christmas lights picture dear !

thanks for your comment at my blog :D
i loveddd this postt !

visit / follow / and comment me .
xoxo . Glisters & Blisters
SCARF GIVEAWAY STILL ON CLICK TO JOIN

Unknown said...

You just may get your first snow day this Weds. Another rainy slushy mix is coming. Beautiful Christmas photos :)

Anonymous said...

gorgeous as always darling
love it, great inspiration
thanks for sharing

-cma
check out my blog @
cosmicaroline.blogspot.com

Allegra said...

that reminds me a lot of Christmas! love it

Alex said...

Beautiful photos! No snow where I live but I will be heading to snow country soon...I can't believe I am admitting this but I think I'm excited in about it!:)

le blog de leen said...

that's a gorgeous selection of pictures :) feels like christmas already :)

leen

faye said...

snow is always a lovely thing.
It snowed where I live on christmas day 2 years ago, I'd never forget that moment.

Fayex

Cristina said...

I saw the snow the last week....i lov it! :)

CRis*

http://cristinabt.blogspot.com/

JOWY said...

These pics are so dreamy and pretty!!

One Love,
Jowy
www.iseejanemary.blogspot.com

Dansvogue said...

Are a pretty pics!!a Dream!!

Unknown said...

I totally agree, snow is brilliant - its so unfai, i wish london had snow... Oh, ad i actually love your blog. its awesome. *follows it*

Panda xx

Unknown said...

These are great photos!

Anonymous said...

I wish it snowed in Los Angeles. SAD FACE. Oh, & that's a wonderful poem. :)

Lexy @ QUIRKY EXPLOSION said...

I'm still in love with these photos. They are so "oh la la!" And I love Snow Days; they are one of the best surprises!

Thanks so much for stopping by!
quirkyexplosion.blogspot.com

Taylor Sterling said...

oh lights are so dreamy and lovely. Great images!

indigotangerine said...

snow is such a rarity in seattle... :( crossing my fingers that the snow forcast this week is true!
Wonderful pictures and truly gorgeous poem.
While of course I enjoy the style bits of your (and others) blogs, it's actually the little unrelated posts I enjoy the most, when I get to glean a bit of hidden personality.
-indigo

Ruxandra said...

This is an amazing poem:)Oh, i can't wait for snow here.It will be such a beautiful, dram, ethereeal day:)

Little Monarch said...

it snowed! oh i am so jealous! it snowed once in london last year and the whole city went mental! I spent christmas in Paris a few years ago - it didnt snow though :-(

Little Monarch said...

oh and I really enjoyed your poem x

Damsels said...

i like your post even if its not fashion related .. thanks for sharing your poem its beautiful

hope we dont get snow up here in ny

Anonymous said...

gorgeous photos <3<3
-Linnéa

Anonymous said...

lovelylovely post! you're right, those christmas lights in the room were magical. i love this time of year! these pictures were just beutiful.
and the poem was great(: thank you for sharing